Introduced in September 2020, the Clarius L20 HD is the world’s first ultra-high-frequency handheld ultrasound scanner designed for superficial scanning. We asked three aesthetic clinicians to share their experiences with using the Clarius L20 to guide safe facial cosmetic procedures.
Dr. Arthur Swift, MD, C.M., F.R.C.S. (C) Swift Beauty
A plastic surgeon based in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Dr. Arthur Swift is known for his pioneering work and innovative techniques in aesthetic medicine. He is a world-renowned expert in „injectables“ and sits on the medical advisory board of many of the leading pharmaceutical companies in Canada, the United States and Europe. He often leads clinical trials on innovative products and lectures at the main plastic surgery and dermatology conferences around the globe.
Dr. Swift was one of the first to purchase the Clarius L20 handheld ultrasound system for aesthetic procedures in September 2020. Here’s what he has to say about using Clarius ultrasound in his practice and during his teaching symposia.
“Ultrasound isn’t the wave of the future in facial aesthetics, it’s the tsunami of the present. Whether it’s vascular mapping, diagnosing previous facial fillers, or treating adverse events, the technology is crucial to safe injection therapy. The Clarius L20 HD has revolutionized my practice through its portability, ease of use and outstanding image quality. So much that it has become an integral part of our popular Swift Beauty physician teaching symposia.”
Ardis Schmitt, RN, BSN and Owner of Revive Medical Spa
With 26 years of experience, Ardis Schmitt has performed more than 2,000 aesthetic procedures including facial injectables like Botox, Fillers, Kybella and Vivace RF Microneedling. Ms. Schmitt recently purchased the Clarius L20HD to provide safer dermal injections at her clinic. Here’s what she had to say about how she uses Clarius ultrasound.
“I received my Clarius L20 Ultrasound about 4 weeks ago and set it up in about 10 minutes. I received a through training session virtually where all my questions were answered. Since that time, I’ve used my new L-20 to:
- Rule out a potential occlusion,
- Evaluate and baseline depth and position of client vessels in areas of injection,
- Evaluate the depth and position of my cannula and old filler for dissolving,
- Evaluate malar edema post COVID-19 vaccine,
- I even checked the depth and position of threads at follow up with a client.
It seems every week I find myself reaching for my ultrasound to take a look at all the things I couldn’t see before! This device is a key differentiator with our clients and for our practice in safety and evaluation.”
Stella Desyatnikova, MD, The Stella Center
A double board-certified facial plastic surgeon, Dr. Stella Desyatnikova is a facial plastic surgeon in Seattle, Washington who is dedicated to providing the most up-to-date facial rejuvenation to her patients. Her main interests are rhinoplasty and facial rejuvenation surgery. She also offers facial implants, reconstructive facial surgery, and minimally invasive procedures, such as BOTOX® Cosmetic and Restylane® injections and laser rejuvenation treatments.
With the objective of increasing patient safety during facial procedures, Dr. Desyatnikova taught herself to use ultrasound through online learning, reading books and hands-on practice with her Clarius L20 HD.
Here are five reasons she likes to use the iPhone with the portable Clarius probe:
- „It places the screen in the same line of vision as the patient’s face. I don’t have to look back and forth from the face to the screen. Considering how small our working area is, even a tiny movement of the transducer can be disorienting.
- I can take photos or videos instantly without moving my eyes away from the face.
- I can show the patient the screen at the same time, so that they can see their own anatomy. My patients are well educated about their procedures, so it makes them feel safer. For example, they can see their own blood vessels, and we can talk about what we do to avoid them and minimize the risk of intravascular injection.
- The app is the bomb and very easy to use on the phone. Seriously. Clarius has done a tremendous job making it super user friendly and intuitive.
- It is easier to work without an assistant. Assistants are great to have, but sometimes we don’t have that luxury.”
Learn More About Clarius Ultrasound in Facial Aesthetics
If the experience of these three clinicians has piqued your interest, visit Clarius Classroom for a series of instructional videos to see how it’s done and learn more about using ultrasound for facial procedures.
The miniaturization of high-definition ultrasound and advances in artificial intelligence have made it easy and affordable to add Clarius HD to your aesthetics practice. Contact us today or request an ultrasound demo to see the difference ultra-high-definition imaging makes in facial vascular mapping.