Dr. Fred Ushakov, an expert in Fetal Medicine and Echocardiography, has used dozens of ultrasound systems since he graduated from medical school in the 1980s. He credits the evolution of ultrasound technology with the development of fetal medicine and the early detection of fetal anomalies.
When I started working on ultrasound machines, they were huge and they didn’t have a lot of capabilities,” he recalls. “Now I can fit a whole ultrasound machine in my pocket and I have small pockets. I can walk to a patient and start scanning with Clarius and my phone in a minute. I think it’s great!”
When scanning for early detection of fetal anomalies at his practice in London, England, Dr. Ushakov relies on sophisticated high-end systems. He acquired Clarius handheld ultrasound for quick exams.
He recently shared why he believes Clarius ultrasound is the right choice for obstetric exams.
- Image quality is very good, especially for a pocket ultrasound – „You can clearly see the presentation of the baby, the placenta and amniotic fluid. You can easily do measurements when you need to.“
- Intuitive, user-friendly software – „Clarius does a lot of things automatically and even beginners will find it easy to learn. If you understand how a mobile phone works, you’ll learn to use Clarius fast.“
- Clarius answers specific questions quickly – „The power of this machine is that you can take it out of your pocket, connect to your iPhone or Android and start scanning. Sometimes you don’t have time to bring in a machine. For instance, in a delivery room, you can start scanning in a minute.“
- Wireless technology is trouble free – „With other handheld systems, you have to deal with cables that have different connections. Clarius automatically connects to your iPad, iPhone or Android device.“
- Sharing images with colleagues is easy with Clarius Cloud – „With DICOM, it’s sometimes difficult to transfer images from one system to another. You can share images safely with a colleague using the free Clarius Cloud.“
Dr. Ushakov foresees a future where handheld ultrasound systems like Clarius will be the standard of care for all OB/GYN clinicians once the right training is in place for physicians and midwives. A strong advocate for ultrasound training, he founded the London School of Ultrasound to teach obstetric professionals to become proficient at fetal echocardiography, fetal neurosonography and early fetal scans.
Join expert Dr. Fred Ushakov as he teaches essential POCUS exams to evaluate fetal health and gestation development in the 2nd trimester. In this free 1-hour webinar, you’ll learn how to locate the placenta and fetal position in seconds, confirm fetus viability and heart health, take accurate BPD and head circumference measurements and determine the level of amniotic fluid to indicate pathological circumstances.
Handheld Ultrasound for OB/GYN
Wireless and app-based, Clarius portable scanners deliver the power and image quality of traditional systems for a small fraction of the cost. Clarius offers two ultrasound scanners that are suitable for obstetrics and gynecology. Learn more about which one is right for your practice. Or contact us today to request an ultrasound demo.